Advertisement

Kefir causing me to have gas

topic posted Sun, May 9, 2010 - 11:03 AM by  Chris
Share/Save/Bookmark
I starting brewin kefir at home about 3 weeks ago. I have had (embarrassing) horrible, rancid gas ever since. I'm 99% sure this is from the kefir, but I've also been unable to find much on the net about kefir causing gas...so....

I ate a fairly healthy diet before (and continue to), so I wouldn't expect that the kefir probiotics would have a lot of "house cleaning" to do in my GI track, but who knows? I'm hoping maybe this is a temporary readjustment thing?

In case it matters:
-my starter grains were from raw organic goats milk
-I use store bought 1% to make my kefir (in in OH, real big pain to get ahold of raw milk)
posted by:
Chris
Columbus
Advertisement
  • Re: Kefir causing me to have gas

Sun, May 9, 2010 - 4:47 PM
    Kefir grains aren't just one bacterium or fungus. They is a whole bunch of different ones in an only-marginally controlled environment which can pick up wild microorganisms. Some of these can ferment in unfortunate ways in your gut producing, well, methane, mercaptans and all sorts of other unpleasant smelly gassy stuff. And some of the direct products of milk fermentation like butyric acid (i.e. the smell of baby puke) can be pretty nasty.

Helpful questions...
    1) Does this happen with kefir from other starter cultures - live-culture kefir you get from the store or from other people using different grains? If it does you might want to consider giving up kefir entirely.

2) If it doesn't, your culture may have picked up something which is bad for you. Throw it out. Sterilize your containers. Get new starter from somewhere else.

3) How are you in general with milk products, especially yogurt and cheese? There shouldn't be much lactose left after a complete fermentation, but you might just not be tolerant of some of the fats and proteins.

4) How much of this are you drinking? How does this compare to your previous intake of other dairy products?

Mon, May 10, 2010 - 1:56 PM
      Another thing...

Your gut is the home of a complex ecosystem of microorganisms. Putting other ones in there upsets the balance and changes the population. It doesn't matter if you slap a woo-woo label like "probiotic" on it. You're affecting the equilibrium, and there will be changes.

Sat, July 24, 2010 - 12:57 AM
        Hi, I love kefir and have been drinking a cup almost everyday for 10 months. Just this week my belly hurts from too much gas. I reaD one person say its because too many grains in the belly and gas is formed when I now eat carbs or sugars. It wasn't a problem before as I eat carbs moderate ly anyways. Well I ate a subway then another which started a war inside. Then with the pain I ate more sugar thinking it'd help. Or my kefir belly craved breads. What do u think? BaD bacteria in my grains or I should break a little from kefir. Thanks

Recent topics in "Kefir Making"